Utah wrongful death laws, generally provide the ability for a decedent’s beneficiaries to file a lawsuit for a death that was caused by a wrongful act or negligence of another. For example, deaths caused by drunk driving, the manufacture of defective or dangerous products, the construction of an unsound structure or building, or failing to diagnose a fatal disease, may trigger wrongful death claims.
The types of damages recoverable in a wrongful death lawsuit are as follows:
- Loss of anticipated future earnings the deceased would have provided
- Lost benefits from the death, e.g. pension or retirement benefits
- Expense associated with the death, e.g., medical bills and funeral costs
- Loss of inheritance from an untimely death
- Pain, suffering or mental anguish suffered by the survivor of the decedent
- Loss of companionship, care or protection
- Punitive damages, intended to punish wrongdoers and prevent them from harmingothers
If your loved one has died as a result of a wrongful act or negligence of another, you may be eligible to receive compensation under the law. Contact us online or call us at 801-532-9500 to set up a FREE consultation to discuss your legal options.